MUSHY'S MOOCHINGS: CHRISTMAS DAY GOES BY...NOT AS USUAL

Friday, December 25, 2009

CHRISTMAS DAY GOES BY...NOT AS USUAL


I arose early this morning and made my way to Knoxville, to watch Lily and Kinsley open and play with their Santa gifts. It was a wonderful time, especially knowing how sick the two were just a few days ago, with Lily actually be hospitalized. They seemed fine and played briefly with every new toy; their runny little noses shinning above a wide smile! They still have some mending to do!

Lily made Corey and I a cup of "play" tea, with two imaginary sugar cubes, and then turned to learning how to feed a "Hungry Hippo"! Of course, we had to pay close attention to the little white balls, because Kinsley is at that age where everything goes straight to her mouth!

Tia's parents are Baptist Missionaries in Africa (I can never remember the exact country, but I think it's Tanzania...they can correct me later), and have been there for over 20 years. Tia was actually born and went to school in Africa, before coming to America to live with her grandmother and go to school to study pharmacy. She is a brilliant lady and a very good and loving mother. My son is a lucky man to have her as his wife.

Tia cranked up Skype on their computer and shared Christmas morning with her mom and dad. They talked for a long while, but Lily was just to busy playing to spend much time sitting still in front of the Mac, talking to Beebe (an African name for grandmother) and Bahbo (an African name for grandfather).

Sometimes I'm a little envious they have cool names and I'm just Papaw, but at least she knows the difference between us. Corey's mom is Granby, and Judy is Momma Judy, and Granby's husband is PopPop! They're all cool names for very cool folks!

Anyway, Christmas Day is normally when Judy and I make a big dinner for Tracy, Katie, Eddie, and my mom, but Judy has been sick for about three days now. She is very dizzy and has a terrible sounding cough. She got a shot at the doctor's office Wednesday, but it must have been a placebo since she hasn't gotten any better. So, Christmas Eve's breakfast was canceled and today's traditional supper was rescheduled for Sunday.

Not having had the annual gathering here today meant that I didn't get to visit with Tracy and her family, but at least I got some time in with Katie Bug on Tuesday (previous post). Sunday's not that far away now, so I can wait just a little longer.

It wasn't a normal Christmas, but it was still enjoyable, and it didn't rain as much as was predicted.

I think my brother and his wife are coming to mom's tomorrow, so that should be lots of fun. If we can get all the grandchildren together for photos, it will turn out to be wonderful. We'll see what happens.

See ya!

6 comments:

Jerry in Texas said...

Merry Christmas to the Mushy's!

FHB said...

Sounds like a wonderful time. Keep enjoyin' it.

BRUNO said...

Yeah, I got all the rain before it got to you!

And if you like, you can have this WIND, too...!

Shrinky said...

What an adorable family you have, Mushy. I'm sorry you've been plagued with sickness this year, but all things must pass, and Christmas will be celebrated just as well on whatever day it arrives, late or not, eh? Here's wishing you a happy and healthy 2010!

Suldog said...

Well, what you had was good, and now you've got more to look forward to! Lucky you!

david mcmahon said...

Looks like the clan had a great December, Mushy.

All the very best to you and your loved ones for 2010.

See - I never forget!