MUSHY'S MOOCHINGS: A DAY WITH LILY

Saturday, August 20, 2011

A DAY WITH LILY

Monday is our normal day to pick Lily up from school, but this week we were also scheduled to do it on Friday as well.  However, Judy had a previous engagement, so it was left up to ol' Papaw to do the honors.

Note the pink backpack!
It was her first week of kindergarten and she had been anticipating it since Pre-wee School let out last spring.  One of her favorite people in the whole world is her cousin Julia, who started the third grade this year, and Lily wants to be all grown up like her cousin.  So, at school orientation last week Lily insisted she wear her school backpack!

She was all talk about her day when she came out to get in my truck.  The happiness was very evident and she beamed when I told her what a big girl she was and how much I loved her new short hair cut!

I asked her what she wanted to do and "eat" was almost out of her mouth before I finished the question.  Of course, I knew the answer before asking, but it's such a treat to her her excitement as she explains where she would like to go.
Note the mouth full of chicken nuggets!

She rattled off a couple of places and then I suggested Chick-fil-A, and she blurted out "Yeah, Chick-fil-A!"

I don't think it's the food, it's mostly the play area.  She loves to climb, hide, and slide!

We sat quietly eating for a few minutes and then she had to go to the bathroom.  I had dreaded that moment, being by myself for the first time, but I gave her a few cautions and things about wiping the seat and washing her hands, and released her on her own at the ladies room door.

A couple of anxious minutes passed before a lady came out, looked at me, guessed I was a nervous Papaw, and said, "She's okay...she's in the stall singing!"

What a relief...I knew she was fine then and the second time she had to go wasn't quite as traumatic for me.  She's growing up and I'll just have to face it.

We took a few more bites and she said, "I want to go play."

I said, "Well, we will, let me finish eating first."

"Well, I'll just go by myself," she said emphatically.

I knew then that I was going to have to move, so I looked back toward the play area and spotted an empty table, that was previously occupied, right in front of the play area.  I could easily watch her through the glass as she happily played and I happily ate!

Inside she went, dropping her shoes as she went, and up into the plastic maze, disappearing for several minutes before dropping out of the slide-shoot.
She came up to the window once and started to wave.  I was thinking, "How nice she is to acknowledge me," so I waved back, but then I noticed that her eyes were looking past me.  I should have known better!

She had spotted a classmate at another table, so the giggling, chasing, hiding, and tagging soon began!

It was her friend Ellie, and before the adventure was over, they wanted to pose for a photo.  Ah, how wonderful it would be to be that carefree again.  Wait, I am that carefree again!  Retirement is pure freedom!

Old age also brings you moments like these - having fun watching your grandchildren play and being young.

Old also brings discounts...like this one from the movie Judy and I saw last week...right in the middle of the week!  We're free!

Back at her house, she insisted I see her "office", and new desk!  So, up the steps we went quietly, so as not to awaken her sister Kinsley, and into her room. 
She showed me her desk, her computer, and told me she was getting a new chair soon, and that she hoped it had "the chipmunks" on it!

I played with her for a while, stuffed a dollar into her money jar, one of three she has, and told her I had to leave.  Downstairs, she gave me a big hug and I told her we would do it all again on Monday!  Can't wait!

1 comment:

FHB said...

What a great post! Love the image of you waitin' outside the little girls room. She's such a cutie, singin' in the stall.