MUSHY'S MOOCHINGS: And Yet, I'm Still here!

Sunday, January 06, 2013

And Yet, I'm Still here!

When I think back to all the times I could have missed all this, I wonder why I'm still here?  Why did I survive; when so many passed on?

The times I rode with my dad, sleeping peacefully without a seat-belt, in the backseat, while he passed on the crooked two-lane roads of the 50's and 60's; when so many others died in similar ways.

Yet, I'm still here.

The time when I fell from my bike, and knocked myself cold; when so many other youngsters die in similar ways.

Yet, I'm still here.

The time my snow sled rammed a hidden log, almost breaking my neck; when so many others died in similar ways.

Yet, I'm still here.

All the times I drove fast, in a time before seat-belts, even hitting a tree once; when so many others died in similar ways.

Yet, I'm still here.

The year I spent in Vietnam, enduring several rocket attacks; when so many others died.

Yet, I'm still here.

All the times I drove home buzzed; when so many others died in similar ways.

Yet, I'm still here.

The time I jumped from Caney Ford bridge; when so many others died in similar ways.

The time the houseboat ran aground and threw me head first over the bow into a rocky bank, littered with driftwood spikes; when so many others died in similar ways.

Yet, I'm still here.

The angry year of 2009/2010 when I fell from a short drop on Buzzard's Bluff and cracked four ribs, and then found out I had kidney cancer; when so many others have died and are dying the similar ways.

Yet, I'm still here.

Why are so many of us still here, when others our age have passed on?  

Maybe it's just to be here to say, I love you to someone, and to tell them that Jesus loves them regardless of their wicked ways!

Further, I may not be able to forgive you of your sins, He can, and will unconditionally through his Grace.

Life will get me one of these days, probably through "dumb luck and pneumonia", as Jack Bondurant said of his uncle Forrest in the movie "Lawless"!  

Yet, He will still be here.

3 comments:

FHB said...

Loved that movie. Great sentiment brother. See End of Watch when you can. It's great, and has some hilarious parts that you'll love.

Ralph said...

Great post. Thought many of thosae things myself and more - yet, I am still here. Blessings.
Ralph

Tom said...

I have often wondered the same thing, I ran with scissors, survived BB gun battles (fortunately none of us lost an eye), drove a hot rod that Mom swore would be the death of me, and did all sorts of prohibited things and yet I am still here. I think He brought me thru it all until I could come to my senses and know Him, the Saviour.