MUSHY'S MOOCHINGS: A TAILBONE TALE

Wednesday, August 03, 2011

A TAILBONE TALE

I'm just sitting here, reflecting on the day, having a Smithwick's (properly pronounced smɪdɨks), and waiting on Judy's chili to simmer to taste!  Yes, it's hot, but it's a day that calls for chili to us.

I've been having tailbone issues since last May, and were it not for that issue I would have never known I had kidney cancer until way too late!  I had very uncomfortable "butt pain" on a trip to the Outer Banks last May, and a CT-scan, following a colonoscopy that didn't find anything internally wrong, revealed I had a tumor on my left kidney.  Had I not complained and became determine to get to the "bottom" of the pain, I may have died from, or at least have had to endure chemo for, the cancer.  So, I owe my extended life to "butt pain"!

Because the pain persist, I have been to the doctor since the kidney surgery trying to find a solution.  Injections and/or surgery are the answers I get, but neither of those options seem to be a long-term solution...at least so far as I can determine.  Therefore, I have turned back to chiropractic solutions as a means to end the pain.

Years ago I visited David Roberts, in Harriman, my wife's cousin, for relief from lower back pain.  He did wonders for me.  I recall times I slowly walked, or limped, into his office bent over; unable to straighten up, and the walked out standing tall!

His "punching doctor" (as my dad used to refer to them) methods completely relieved me of my back pain.  I had since learned to roll out my pains and catches on the floor and on a big blue exercise ball I purchased from him.

However, I now have a new problem for him to work on...my tailbone!

He gently messages and maneuvers the tissue in my coccyx area and then has his assistant, Tonya, a lovely young lady, place ultrasound pads on the painful area.  She leaves me to enjoy the twitching sensations for about 12 minutes.  After the manipulation and ultrasonic treatment I feel good!

The pain stays away for a long time, getting me to my next tri-weekly treatment, and back to blogging!

Judy also has lower back and hip pain and he's done wonders for her as well.  It's also a good time to catch up on his life and exchange family secrets!

Truth be known, I do way too much blogging, and seating on my ass, but a man has to do what a man has to do to update his 6 blogs and Flickr postings!

It was also time to head to Oak Ridge today for my bi-weekly allergy shots.  That's when Judy and I could see this tremendous thunderhead looming over our home.  We flanked the storm, missing all the rain, but when we got back to the Harriman area we could see that a lot of rain had fallen.
It's good to be home, sitting on my painless (for the moment) butt and blogging!

Oh, the chili was great!

7 comments:

FHB said...

My dad used to swear by chiropractors. I used to watch him leave the house bent over in pain and come back smilin', with a new spring in his step.

I'm glad you both are feeling better. And I'd give anything to see a cloud like that over my house. Sheeesh!

BRUNO said...

Do you have a still-subcutaneous(hidden)pilonidal-cyst, by any chance? IF so, the ONLY-permanent solution is surgical-removal/drainage of the cyst, and removal of it's "sinus", or pocket. Occasionally, the removal of the very-tip of the tailbone is warranted, as well.(That's what MY-Dad had done. MINE was the simpler "sinus-job".) Not really major surgery---but, you won't be doin' any cheerleader-splits for a while!☺

Ain't no damned quack of a chiropractor gonna help something physical, OR mental.(Yeah, Dad warned me, too---obviously, I didn't listen close-enough!)

A careless-quack-o-practor this past spring is why I'm now set to go under the knife in another month or so, because the sonofabitch IGNORED the pre-"treatment" info I gave him---in medical detail---on the triage-form. He literally fractured two of my already-arthritic-damaged vertibrae, due to his damned-"adjustment".

Yeah, "Sorry!!!" ain't gonna cut it, quack. If he'd wake up DEAD some morn---that MIGHT be satisfactory!☺

But---if it feels-good to YOU and YOURS---then like the Nike-commercial says: "Just DO-it!"

You know---"Whatever slays your dragon!"

FHB said...

Sounds like more cuttin'.

Scott from Oregon said...

He does what to your coccyx????

Just catching up with Mushy and his travails...

Unknown said...

hi there, i came across your blog because in may of this year we learned by dad has kidney cancer. it has spread to his tailbone... is this similar to your story?

if so, maybe we can correspond? i have many many questions - if its not too much of an imposition...

i will be sending you an email and i hope all is still well with you!

Unknown said...

hi there, i came across your blog because in may of this year we learned by dad has kidney cancer. it has spread to his tailbone... is this similar to your story?

if so, maybe we can correspond? i have many many questions - if its not too much of an imposition...

i will be sending you an email and i hope all is still well with you!

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

My cancer remained localized and was successfully removed without chemo.

I owe my life to the pain on my tailbone, but it has since gone away!

I'd be glad to communicate further, if you feel the need.