MUSHY'S MOOCHINGS: FINALLY, A KNOXVILLE KIND OF PLACE TO EAT IN ROANE COUNTY

Friday, August 14, 2009

FINALLY, A KNOXVILLE KIND OF PLACE TO EAT IN ROANE COUNTY

I went to lunch today with my wife and daughter, and it was our first time at Redbones on the River in Kingston, Tennessee. The luncheon turned into the day’s big meal!

The old home, situated across from the Kingston City Park on Watts Bar Lake, has been turned into a very nice looking restaurant, with beautiful shiny wood floors, dark wood tables and chairs, with just the right amount of light coming in from outside. You can also sit outside, on one of two decks (upper and lower), if you prefer the summer heat to refreshing air conditioning! Not us, we appreciate old fashioned AC!

There are sitting areas all over the place, including upstairs near the tastefully decorated bar, which features a good selection of pulls, including my favorite – Fat Tire? After the wonderful meal, I sneaked up the stairs to get a “bar shot” for my bar collection on Flickr.

We ordered the fried green-tomatoes as an appetizer and, wow, they were fantastic! They were those droopy, soggy kinds you get some places, these were crunch fried with a horseradish dip. They were simply a wonderful way to prepare your palate for your entrée.

Judy and I ordered half-rack of Baby-back Ribs, baked potato, and Spinach Maria, while Tracy wanted the Chicken Alfredo with broccoli.

We had thought about a club sandwich, a burger, or a salad for lunch, but after seeing all the steak, seafood, pasta dishes, we decided that lunch would be our dinner meal as well. There was no forcing us to only eat one meal today either. After finishing the generous meal, we were too stuffed for dessert, even though the Chocolate Bar Cake kept calling our names!

So, the next time you are looking for a classy place to eat, or just have drinks with friends, but don’t want to drive the 40 miles to Knoxville, check out Redbones on the River in Kingston. You’ll be glad you did.

16 comments:

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

How come every time I visit here I get hungry?

FHB said...

Cool! It's always fun to find a new place with good eats. How did their BBQ compare to what we had in Memphis? I think it wasn't that special. I can get good stuff here.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

It was enjoyable...I'd have to compare side by side before I could judge food.

BRUNO said...

Looks kinda unique, from the exterior-views. Still has the "personality" of a home, which would make the food that much better, to me!

Side-by-side comparisons, eh? Well, I guess using BOTH arms at once could after all be interpreted as a "daily-exercise routine"!

aniceplaceinthesun.blogspot.com said...

Mushy, This is a spectacular post...everything looks so delicious. You did a great job with your photos. I want to try "Spinach Maria", and the "fried green tomatoes."

It's disappointing when they come out soggy at some places. I love the old house. I feel like I just went out to eat, except for the fact that my stomachs growling.

Great tour, and post~

Thanks,

Cheers,

Annie

PRH said...

Greak looking food, but I've been smokin, canning, and BBQ-ing this weekend. The only thing we are not fixing ourselves is the Beer!

david mcmahon said...

Fried green tomatoes for me, please, Mushy.

Sandi McBride said...

Mushy, must you post pics with every food entry? It's only 8 am and I'm craving barbecue now...congrats on POTD nomination from David...
Sandi

Right Truth said...

That looks wonderful. I'm hungry already and I just ate breakfast. Wish we had some great restaurants close to us.

Deborah F. Hamilton
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

Brian Miller said...

lunch can not get here fast enough...sounds like a wonderful place...congrats on the POTD mention.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

What a terrific place. Your photos are great.

Shrinky said...

I've heard of fried green tomatoes, but never seen any before - they aren't even GREEN (ha, you American's are such big, fat FIBBERS)!!

Looks like you've found yourself another fine eating establishment, my friend - I can almost smell the fine aromas from here..

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Oh, Shrinky, they're are green inside! But surely you knew that!

cathysue said...

fine. i'll stop lurking. found you through hammer and since i'm a fellow Tennessean, thought i'd add you to my list. wish i would've known about this place when i went and visited my aunt who lives out on kingston hwy. a few weeks ago. looks good. i'll tell her about it.

Anonymous said...

What a mouth-watering post! :)

Unknown said...

Great place. Great food. Great people.