Friday, February 15, 2008


Judy and I met Neena and Ron at Park West Hospital this morning just before 8 A.M. and watched while he hugged and kissed his two grandchildren. The children left with their father leaving their mother, Ron’s daughter, to stand (sit) watch with us in the Surgery Waiting Room. About 8:30 they called for Ron and he and Neena disappeared behind the waiting room doors and moved into the inter-sanctum and the hustle and bustle of mysterious places like “pre-op”, “post-op”, “holding”, “recovery”, and, of course, the operating rooms themselves.

At around 9:30 A.M. Neena was asked to leave Ron’s side and so she came back to where we had set housekeeping for about 8 or 9 in one section of the waiting room.

On two of the walls hung 32” wide-screens displaying the doctor and patient lineup for today. It took me a few minutes to figure out the coded information, but I soon learned that the reason I could not find Ron’s name anywhere on the screen was that the abbreviated names with in the gray ovals were the doctor’s names! If you look for BUFKBRAD89, you will see Doctor Bufkin was Ron’s surgeon and Ron himself was given an abbreviated code based on his last name, day of birth, etc (red arrow).

When this shot of the screen was taken, the “Surgery Traffic Controller” had already shown Ron through PREOP, PHA (holding), and finally into the OR. He actually went into surgery at 1 P.M. and came out to PACU (post anesthesia care unit) around 3:30! What a day for Ron, but he at least got some good drugs for most of the time.

Me, and the rest, sat on our duffs for about 10 to 11 hours, killing time by listening to MP3s (Gary and I), or talking about all the other characters in the waiting room (Dragons)!

Charlotte said I looked retarded - bobbing my head, tapping my feet, and playing air-guitar and drums in time to the music no one else could hear! So, there I was, a 61 year old retard with a big happy grin on my face!

Anyway, the news was great! Ron came through just fine, even though they did have to surgically cut a rib, but the surgeon has no doubt that he got all the cancer, he described as being about the size of a quarter, removing the lower lobe of his right lung. Prognosis is: Ron will not have to have chemo or radiation treatments. Apparently if the spot is less than a certain size, no follow up treatments are warranted.

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers from the bottom of my heart.

…and thank you God!


Jeni said...

That is very good news! My kids can certainly relate to your trial as you waited for word on the surgery, from the doctor, etc. They've waited three times now in three different hospital waiting rooms, wondering and worrying, and so far, each event has been positive with the reports. Always so good to hear that kind of news ya know!
Take care and hope your BIL has a speedy recovery.

Not a Granny said...

Wonderful News!!! Give Ron our best.

And, thank you for the education on the tv screens. Next time I am in a surgery waiting room I can be all smart like, and tell people where there loved ones are. They will think I am psychic...or is it psychotic??

~Fathairybastard~ said...

Glad to hear it man. Glad to hear he made it through everything and it's all up hill from here. You guys take care.

BRUNO said...

Glad we could "help"!

So, you looked like a retard, eh? I betcha nobody came around "messin' with ya'", now, did they?

"Rainman" made millions---maybe you could make at least a few thousand, performing on "lead air-guitar"...!

Jerry said...

Good news, Mushy. Y'all get some rest now!

Chris said...

Here via Blogexplosion, but had to comment since we're in Knoxville too. Glad that everything turned out ok!


Ortho said...

I'm glad your partner made it through surgery. I hope the surgeon did get all the cancer.

Your description of the "surgery traffic control" is spot on. I recently had surgery on my throat, and my family described the big board in the same manner. Somewhat cool and soothing, yet most surreal.

Debbie said...

I'm glad too that everyone is safe, sound, and survived the procedure. However, I'm really surprised at this televised surgery schedule and patient information. With the HIPPA laws what they are today, hospitals and afraid to give out any information on any patient, this seems to go against that, or does it?

After further thought, I guess not. There is no personal information other than WHERE the patient is and WHO their doctor is. Probably saves the staff from answering lots of questions from family and friends.

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

*Goddess* said...

I was telling my husband about the wide screens and he said, "What's next? You'll be able to watch the surgery being performed?!" Cooool!

Anonymous said...

Good news ..I am glad he came out of it alright..who would a thunk ..traffic control in a hospital..