MUSHY'S MOOCHINGS: SPECIAL MOMENTS WE SHARE KEEP US STRONG

Thursday, January 17, 2008

SPECIAL MOMENTS WE SHARE KEEP US STRONG

Yesterday Gary (left), Ron, and I went to the Smoky Mountain Brewery that just opened in Turkey Creek in Knoxville, Tennessee.

We each enjoyed “red pale ale” which is not advertised, but is from their seasonal menu – you have to ask for it. At first, a strong “hoppy” taste attacks your taste buds, but after a couple of sips they relax and begin to beg for it!

We made small talk about Ron’s recent health issues, reassuring him things would work out. Little did we know that Ron would get the results of a lung biopsy he had on Monday, after getting home that afternoon. The news was not positive…he does have a small spot of lung cancer on a lower lobe of one lung. Since the presence was detected so early, and the fact that he’s in such great shape, there is no reason he will not be fine.

Please pray for him, as he is very important to our family. Thanks.

We also discussed our recent efforts to reduce our food intake, and I related my pork tenderloin, and nut-encrusted recipes (which I have posted on Mushy’s Cookings). Naturally, since Ron rides his bicycle a couple of times a week, hikes, kayaks, and generally exercises, he needs much less control than we do.

Anyway, Wednesday was a “Knight’s Day Out” (at least for those of us old retirees) and we splurged on the calories. Gary and I got the wonderful Grilled Rueben (pictured) with sliced corned beef and sauerkraut, topped with sour cream and melted cheese, with a green bean side! Ron tackled the Chicken Cheese Philly with sliced chicken with grilled fresh peppers and onions, topped with melted cheese, and fries on the side!

After another “red ale” to wash it all down, we crossed the street to the Irish Times Pub & Restaurant for dessert – a very nice black & tan, drawn by prepared to perfection!

As a follow up, I spoke with Ron this morning and he is in good spirits. Days like Wednesday are important to us all (The Knights) and we don’t intend to let this get us down. Together, with our combined prayers, we shall prevail!


UPDATE: Ron's PET scan revealed that he has no other occurrence of cancer in his body. It is localized to one spot on a lower lobe, which means he will probably not have to have chemo! This is the best news possible. I prayed that he would not be weakened or down long with this, because he loves the outdoors so much. God is good!

Thanks for all your thoughts, comments, and prayers!

16 comments:

Buck said...

My thoughts and prayers are with Ron. It's a great good thing the "spot" was caught early.

The food looks good...but the beer looks better!

Cookie..... said...

DAMN....that Rueben looks good...haven't had one in many many months...thats about to change...

Next time I'll know better than to visit Mushy's when hungry....

*Goddess* said...

I hope all goes well with Ron.

David Sullivan said...

I am living vicariously through your pictures!!

FHB said...

Like I said before, bive him a hug and a shove for me. You know I'll be prayin' for him, and the rest of you. This shit needs to go away. We've got trips to plan.

And as usual, you guys know how to have fun. Keep it up.

Suldog said...

Ron is in my prayers every night, Mushy.

Anonymous said...

thoughts and pryers for Ron..hopefully your right and he will get through it with no problem...

now that Knights out thing looks great I got hungry just looking at the pictures>>:)

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

You guys (and gal) are wonderful. It means a lot to us all. Thanks.

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Hey Mushy!

I'm back, sort of...

Plan on reading what you've been up to.

RT Out

BRUNO said...

I'd be afraid to drink that Guinness---it's got more body than ME! Afraid somethin' like that might REALLY put me "down"!

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Yeah...Ranger Tom is back!

Jose said...

Prevail we shall. Man it's almost 10:00 a.m. as I read this and my stomach is starting to make noises and then I see and read about all these wornderful food. Darn I'm hungry now.

Lin said...

Give Ron a gentle hug for me, too. He's got too much joyous living to do with you guys to be putting up with down time. May God love him and heal him up quickly!

PRH said...

Continued prayers for Ron...and all the troops in harm's way.

PRH said...

Almost forgot...Rueben...My Favorite Sammy!

Nothing better than a good one.

Les Becker said...

I was just thinking of Ron the other day. Not sure why he popped into my view, paddling his kayak up an unplowed Cathcart Street, but there he was.

I'm glad they've caught this so soon, and will continue to picture him paddling through the snow up here - maybe we can freeze the big C out of him from a distance.